Well it’s been almost a day since we found out that Joel Hanrahan has been traded to the Red Sox for at least Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel and still no word on the final pieces. Apparently the Pirates are sending one more player to the Sox and the Sox are sending two players to the Pirates, one of whom is rumored to be Mark Melancon, but that has yet to be confirmed.
So what’s taking so long? Let’s look at a few theories.
1. The Secret Effect – The Pirates have a bit of a reputation as being a secretive organization. This is mostly due to the secret extension they signed General Manager Neal Huntington and former Manager John Russell to. The Pirates flat out lied about these extension until proven otherwise.
So maybe they are just keeping the trade a secret. Why would they do that? I don’t know, why would they keep those extensions secret?
2. The Injury Effect – Maybe one of the players going either way was injured last year. A guy like Charlie Morton might be involved in the trade and one side or the other is waiting until a full medical examination can be done to finalize the deal. It wouldn’t be the first time the Pirates were involved with injured players, trading Freddy Sanchez to the Giants while he was injured.
3. The Congress Effect – This effect is named for the do-nothing legislators currently holding the nation over the fiscal cliff. Instead of finishing what they started they will be going home, to be with their families during the Christmas holiday. Maybe this is what is going on? A gentleman’s agreement to finish it up after the eggnog has worn off of Frank Coonelly?
4. The Steelers Effect – Easily the most diabolical of all, this theory posits that the Pirates are waiting until the Steelers are playing to bury the return. It’s often said Pittsburgh is a football town, but I’m not sure there is any football game that could bury this. It’s not out of the realm of possibility though with a pretty PR inept Front Office.
5. The Social Media Effect – This is the least likely of them all, mostly because I’m not so sure the Pirates don’t care what their fans think at all. Could the Pirates have leaked the info to the press to see what kind of reaction it got? I doubt it, but I’m just gonna put it out there.